The foundation of our Lititz, PA family dental practice is disease prevention through comprehensive preventive dental care. This includes keeping the gums healthy so they can support strong, healthy teeth.
Gum disease remains a leading cause of tooth loss in adults, often the result of poor oral hygiene and a lack of dental health care. Dr. John and Dr. Sara perform a periodontal screening as part of a thorough dental examination during routine visits.
Maintaining healthy gums is an important part of lasting dental health- and physical well being. Recent studies have shown the relationship between periodontal disease and an increased risk for developing or being more severely affected by cardiovascular and systemic diseases. When caught early, conservative treatment can be effective and quickly restore oral health.
Common Signs of Gum Disease
- Red, swollen and/or tender gums
- Bleeding gums
- Shifting of teeth or loose teeth
- Receding gums
- Bad breath
- Changes in the fit of dentures
Your treatment will be tailored to your specific dental health needs, designed to restore your oral health and prevent further infection or damage. Periodontal therapy is often dependent on the stage of gum disease and can be as simple as a thorough dental cleaning to remove plaque and tartar. More intensive treatment can include:
- Scaling and root planing: this intensive cleaning removes built up plaque from the gum line, tooth roots and deep pockets of the gums.
- Antibacterial rinses: when appropriate, Dr. John or Dr. Sara may prescribe an anti bacterial rinse to be used between visits and reduce the level of bacteria present in the mouth, especially for patients with persistent gingivitis.
- Gum surgery: when necessary in cases of advanced gum disease or periodontitis, we may refer you to a local periodontist for treatment.